UCSF Internal Fellowships and Awards for Sociology are provided through the Graduate Division. See a matrix of all awards offered through the Graduate Division. Nomination guidelines, criteria and a list of past awardees are listed at Internal Fellowships and Awards.
Grad Div Internal Fellowships
- Graduate students are nominated by their graduate programs for internal competitive fellowships. We urge students interested in being nominated for a competitive fellowship to contact [email protected]
- Please review the eligibility requirements on each fellowship. Awards are available to PhD students who are US citizens, permanent residents, undocumented, AB 540, and foreign nationals who are entering their first through fifth years of study as of the upcoming fall term with a 3.0 or higher GPA. ARCS Scholarship requires a 3.5 or higher GPA.
- Programs with fewer than 50 students may nominate one student for most of the fellowships. Eugene Cota-Robles, Graduate Dean's Dissertation Completion, and Rosenberg-Hill fellowships have different nomination restrictions.
- Graduate programs may nominate a single student for more than one internal fellowship, but each student may only receive one fellowship at a time.
- Nominations for competitive fellowships (except Eugene Cota-Robles, Graduate Dean's Dissertation Completion, and Rosenberg-Hill) are reviewed and rated by the Graduate Council.
- Eugene Cota-Robles, Graduate Dean's Dissertation Completion, and Rosenberg-Hill are reviewed and rated by faculty committee or Graduate Division.
- All recipients of internal fellowships and awards are subject to terms and conditions.
SBS Endowed Scholarships
Funding Information and Forms
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- UCSF Graduate Division Fellowship information page
- SBS Fellowship Past Awardees
Conference / Travel Funding
- Strauss Professional Development Award (for conference travel)
- Graduate Division Travel Award
- SoN Associated Students Enrichment Fund / Travel Award
- SocPop Consortium RFP Fund
- UCLA Grapes, Grant Search Engine (highly recommended)
- UCSD Grant Search Engine
- UCSD's Graduate Funding Blog
- Illinois Researcher Information Service (IRIS)
- Grant Select
- American Association of University Women (AAUW); AAUW offers several pre- and post-doctoral grants
- American Education Research Association (The AERA Grants Program offers dissertation grants for quantitative education policy and practice research using large-scale, nationally- representative data sets such as those sponsored by NCES and NSF. Studies must include US education but may be comparative.)
- ASA Grants and Fellowships listings
- Minority Fellowship Program, supported by a grant from the National Institute of Mental Health and sponsored by the American Sociological Association
- Community Action Research Initiative, sponsored by the ASA Sydney S. Spivack Program in Applied Social Research and Social Policy.
- ASA Congressional Fellowship, sponsored by the ASA Sydney S. Spivack Program in Applied Social Research and Social Policy.
- Fund for the Advancement of the Discipline, co-sponsored by the American Sociological Association (ASA) through a matching grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- ASA Teaching Enhancement Fund ASA Small Grants Program
- Bancroft Library Study Awards for students working on Master's thesis and Doctoral Dissertation that will use the library's materials.
- Brookings Institute
- Dirksen Congressional Center - The research awards competition is open to individuals with a serious interest in studying Congress. Political scientists, historians, biographers, scholars of public administration or American studies, and journalists are among those eligible.
- Dorot Foundation Graduate research travel grant supports research in Israel
- Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowship
- Fulbright Fellowship awarded for dissertation research
- Horowitz Foundation- Horowitz supports sociological research with an emphasis on policy-oriented studies.
- MacArthur Foundation - Global Migration and Human Mobility MacArthur will be providing a limited number of open grants in the following areas: Governance of global migration ; Migration and development; Re-conceptualizing global human mobility
- McNeil Center- McNeil supports research related to early American studies
- Mellon Foundation/ACLS Dissertation Completion Fellowships Supports dissertation research in the humanities and social sciences
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship- These fellowships are designed to promote scholarship in the United States and abroad on matters relevant to the improvement of education in all its forms. NAE/Spencer will support one year of full-time research, or two years at half-time.
- National Institute of Health
- National Science Foundation Dissertation Improvement Grant Info
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program - The NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based Master's and doctoral degrees at accredited United States institutions.
- Newcombe, Charlotte W., Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Supports research of ethical or religious values in all fields of the humanities and social sciences
- Phi Beta Kappa -
- Robert Bosch Foundation Work placement in European governments
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society's Grants-in-Aid program
- Social Science Research Council offers a variety of awards for research and workshops. Workshop topics change each year.
- Spencer Foundation Spencer funds education-related research.
- Switzer Foundation Switzer funds research related to the environment
- United States Department of Education
- The Wenner-Gren Foundation Dissertation Fieldwork Grant
- UC Berkeley-Stanford University John Gardner Fellow for Public Service
- UC Center for New Racial Studies Grants
- UCSD Center for Comparative Immigration Studies and Center for US Mexican Studies
- UCSD The Center for the Study of Race and Ethnicity (CSRE) Summer Dissertation Research Fellowships In Chicana/Latino Studies and Ethnic Studies
- UC Pacific Rim Research Program
- UC Labor and Employment Research Fund
- UC Humanities Research Institute
- UC Institute for European Studies - The Institute keeps a running list of pre- and post-doctoral opportunities for scholars studying Europe.
- UC Foreign Language and Area Studies Summer Fellowship for language study
- UC Institute on Global Conflict and Cooperation Dissertation Fellowships and Travel and Research Awards
- US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) - HUD's Doctoral Dissertation Research Grant program is intended to stimulate policy-relevant urban research by encouraging doctoral candidates to pursue research topics in community, housing, and urban development.
- Woodrow Wilson, National Fellowship Foundation - Supports research related to teaching, conservation, women and gender, religion and ethics, access and opportunities, and foreign affairs.
Please report broken or additional links to: [email protected]